Magical Moments

We Share Our Disney Experiences with You!

Blogger Templates

Write Your Description For Image Three Here.

Blogger Widgets

Write Your Description For Image Four Here.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Photo Friday: A "Pin" Picture?

Photo Courtesy: Gene Duncan, Disney Parks Blog 2009

I had to do a bit of searching for this picture for our Photo Friday.  You see, I had to fit the picture to our "Pin" theme for the week (Pin Trading, Pinterest Recipes, Pin Crafts, PIN codes).  So, can you guess how this photo fits our Pin theme?


I didn't have any of my own photos that I could make fit in with the theme, so I had to do some searching around the web.  I thought this was the best of the very few photos I found that fit the criteria I was looking for.  Not only did the photo need to be Disney-related, but it also had to be taken using a very unusual photographic technique: Pinhole Photography.

And that's how we make Photo Friday fit the "Pin" theme.

If you're not familiar with Pinhole Cameras, they are the most basic form of photography.  No lens.  Just a pin-size hole in a material that allows light to enter an otherwise light-proof box, which contains a medium for recording the image, such as photosensitive paper or even a modern CCD like you would find in a digital camera.

At one time, way back before we were all born, photographers predominately used pin-hole cameras to take photographs.  But today, the technique has been lost to all but fringe artists, hobbyists, and kids who build them for science class.

So, it was understandably difficult to find pinhole camera images on the web of Walt Disney World.  Not only is this due to the fact that pinhole cameras are not popular, but because using them does not lend itself to places like Disney World.  That's because pinhole cameras require a lot of time.  Modern photography is done in fractions of a second.  The old-school way took much longer.  In some cases it was faster than it's predecessor (painting or drawing), but it still takes anywhere from a few seconds on the short side, to hours on the long side.  It's hard enough for your average tourist to stop and take more than a few moments to compose a photograph with a point and shoot. Can you imagine if they were all carrying pinholes?

I have no experience with pinhole cameras myself.  I vaguely remember learning about them in school as a kid, and later as an adult learning about photography, pinhole cameras would usually be brought up in discussions about how aperture affects depth of field.

Since I am not an expert, I will defer to those that are.  You can visit Gene Duncan's original blog post of  for more on the beautiful picture he took in EPCOT's China pavilion, found here.

And here are some other resources on pinhole cameras, in case this post has piqued your interest.

Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but there seems to be a lack of pinhole photographs of WDW.  Perhaps I'll have to invest in some materials to build my own and try my hand at taking a few shots on one of our upcoming trips.


Where in the World?


Last week's puzzle: 



Answer:
This photo was taken at the Tusker House Restaurant in  Disney's Animal Kingdom.  We've done Donald's Safari breakfast here a few times and absolutely love it.  I highly suggest it for the food, the characters, and oh yes, the beautiful atmosphere. 


This Week's Puzzle:


I think it's fairly obvious WHAT it's a picture of, but the question is WHERE in the world would you find it?  Any guesses?

You can guess in the comments below, or feel free to visit us on Facebook or shoot us an email at HomeWhereMouseis@gmail.com.  And to bring the whole Pin theme full circle, be sure to check out our Pinterest page, complete with a newly added Photography board which will feature our favorite personal Disney pictures.  While you're at it, give us a "Like" or a "Follow" if you approve of the job we are doing so far.  As always, comments are welcome!



No comments:

Post a Comment