I love a good LifeHack, so I went searching for some hacks that could prove useful on our Disney Vacations. Here's our 10 Best list...
What is a LifeHack?
life·hack
ˈlīfˌhak/
noun
informal
- a strategy or technique adopted in order to manage one's time and daily activities in a more efficient way.
The Less-Mess Mickey Bar
Enjoying a Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bar is a must-do, especially while you're sitting in the heat waiting for the afternoon parade to start. In addition to being delicious, it's also almost guaranteed to be incredibly messy, especially in the case of the little ones. So while keeping the napkins and wipes handy is always advised, here's a hack that is useful:
1. Grab a beverage lid from a nearby counter service restaurant. Turn the lid upside down, and insert the popsicle stick of your Mickey Bar through the lid. Instant Drip-Catcher!
The Disney Shopping Bag
Ask and you shall receive, even without making a purchase. Handy for carrying items in the park, and for helping to keep your things dry on the water rides, sprinkler areas, or in the sudden downpours. Sounds obvious, right? Well, here's two more things you may not have thought of.
2. Stick that sweatshirt you've been holding onto for the evening inside a bag and then use it as a seat cushion for sitting on the hot pavement while waiting for the afternoon parade. Your butt will thank you!
3. In a pinch, a large shopping bag just needs a hole ripped in the bottom, and two holes (one on each side) to become a kiddie poncho. It sounds ridiculous, but I've actually done this with my child to keep them dry until we could get a real poncho.
Zip-loc bags (or other brand)
Handy for packing snacks or lunch to bring to the park (Yes, you are allowed to bring your own food!) Zip-loc bags come in a few different sizes and are so versatile that you should bring them even if you have no idea what you'll use them for! Have a character breakfast buffet planned? Stash some items into your zip-loc bags for snacking later. Wet clothes? stick 'em in a bag to keep them separate from everything else! Here are two more of my favorites:
4. Water-proof your tech! Protect your phone and camera from getting wet. Now, if you're daring, rip a small hole in a zip-loc bag, and stick your video camera inside. Align the hole with your camera's lens, and poke the lens through, stretching the hole for a tight fit. Now you can take your camera on those water rides or into the midst of that splash area without fear!
*note: this is great for the main theme parks, but for the resort pools and water parks, I'd invest in a waterproof case or a waterproof camera.
| Photo Courtesy of QueenBeeCoupons.com |
5. Organize your clothes. Lisa has done this for the past two trips and it's great! She packed outfits for both kids into individual zip-loc bags and even labeled them with a sharpie to note which day she thought they should wear each. Then each morning of the trip, it was a snap to grab that day's bag and get the kids dressed!
Organize your Hotel Room
For most of us, space is at a premium on our vacations when it comes to our hotel rooms. To save money we often cram our families into smaller spaces than we normally enjoy at home. Factor in the lack of drawer and cabinet space in your room, and that's a recipe for one big, disorganized mess!6. Use an over-the door shoe organizer as handy pockets for all your toiletries, accessories, and things you need to grab 'n go when heading out! It keeps them off the sink and counters and floors.
The Potty Post-It!
Is your child afraid of the potty automatically flushing? Well, then those automatic, industrial strength flushers at the theme parks are a nightmare! Have no fear, the Post-It! is here to save the day.
7. Simply stick a Post-It! over the sensor before sitting down on the toilet and the flush will not occur until you remove it!
If you don't have a Post-it, almost any material will work. The Post-it is handy because it sticks easily and removes easily as well. But when pressed, your inner-MacGuyver might make this work from chewing gum and a park map, or water and some toilet paper...
Lost and Found
| Photo Courtesy of the Relocated Tourist |
I lose something every trip. Usually it's just my sunglasses, but sometimes it can be something more important and not as easily replaceable. Use your camera and/or phone to record things to help jog your memory.
8. Take pictures of everything to help you remember.
- your family - you'll have a pic of what you're all wearing if anyone becomes lost.
- where you parked your car - sometimes committing it to memory is just not good enough!
- your various park media: Tickets, Room Keys, PhotoPass cards, Gift Cards.
- Your name, address, and phone number. Write this down and then snap a pic. Now it's on your phone and in your camera should those items become lost.
Pressed Pennies
I love to collect pressed pennies. Every trip, I scrounge up my loose pennies and quarters and stick them in bag or small container so I can bring them to the park. There's a better way.
9. Use a M&M mini container to carry your coins. Stack them, 2 quarters, 1 penny, 2 quarters, 1 penny, etc. No more fumbling in bags or pockets for the right change.
*bonus hack. Got a penny that isn't as shiny as you'd like. Ketchup will shine that penny right up. Ketchup can be gotten for free at any counter service restaurant. That a few napkins will help get your penny shiny again!
Ice Cold Water
Drinking lots of water while at Disney is very important. It will keep you cool, and keep you hydrated, and bringing your own can save you a few bucks too! And while it's a well-circulated tip that you can get free ice-water at any counter service restaurant in Disney just by asking, I came across this little hack for those of us who like to bring some cold water with us to the park.
10. Freeze your water overnight... ON ITS SIDE!
I was always aware of the frozen water bottle trick. But until that ice melts, you don't have anything to drink. Thanks to this hack I found, that's not a problem anymore. When freezing it at night, make sure it isn't full, and lay the bottle on it's side. In the morning, you'll be able to pour more water into the free space in the bottle, which will reach from the bottom to the top. Instant cold water. That ice will last you a good while, even on a hot day!
Maybe you knew about some of these tips, but I'll be very impressed if you knew all 10! What are your favorite Disney Vacation LifeHacks? Please let us know by leaving a comment, especially if we don't have it on our list!!




















These were great James! I have always done the zip lock for the kids clothes each day. It is such a time saver AND makes packing for the park a breeze. I always had one bag with a change of clothes for Emily when she was young and I would just toss it and go!
ReplyDeleteI don't know if this counts as a hack, but another one I have done is pack five or six clothes pins and use them to make a sun /shade cover over the stroller. You can use a towel from your resort or bring a light receiving blanket, use a sweater and just clip the sides of the stroller and away you go!
Suz
Thanks, Suz! I think your clothes pin idea qualifies as a hack. It fits the definition of an uncommon solution to a common problem! That one just might be in the next edition! (provided I can compile a whole new list!)
DeleteGreat hacks here, James! Some are tried & true, while others were brand new to me. They're all worth trying out during my next trip! Drink lid to catch drips? Water bottle frozen on its side? Genius!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, KJ!
DeleteGreat tips! We also use Ziploc bags for everything!! I am also glad to see I am not the only one who organizes their children's clothes by the day! :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Beth! It really is a time-saver when you're getting up to head out to the parks!
DeleteWonderful tips - some I've done, others were new to me & I plan on using them - especially loved the shoe organizer to hold your toiletries. It always seems that the counter gets cluttered with all of this stuff, it will definitely help with organization! Thanks so much.
ReplyDeleteThanks! We first heard about that tip for our cruise, and it makes sense to use it at resorts as well!
DeleteMy favorites are the water bottle and automatic toilet ones. I wish I would've known about the automatic toilet thing about 7 or 8 years ago... A toilet flushed and I wasn't ready, and I was scared to death! Even today when I see that those are the only kind of toilet available I cringe. O_o
ReplyDeleteLOL! Yeah, that can be an unexpected surprise when you're not ready for it! As our littlest starts potty training, post-its will become something I carry around all the time!
DeleteThese are terrific hacks! I will definitely save this for our trip in LESS THAN A MONTH! :D
ReplyDeletePS I love ziplocs too ;)
Thanks!
DeleteGreat tips!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
Deletewe used to live 8 miles from Disneyland, so we were always there...all of our kids had their own drawstring backpack. that way mom NEVER had to carry their stuff. they had their own chapstick, sunscreen, water, snack...whatever they wanted. I loved that I wasn't always digging through MY pack for their stuff!!
ReplyDeleteThat must have been awesome to live so close! I wish we were closer so we could go more often! And I also look forward to trips when the kids can carry their own things and I won't have to carry as much!
DeleteDo the refrigerators at pop century
ReplyDeletehave freezers?